Sunday, January 6, 2008

¡Feliz Año 2008!


Feliz Año Nuevo to all of mis paisanos back home!


First off, in addition to wishing everyone a very Happy 2008, I also wanted to thank all of you who posted comments to my last entry, expressing your concern and encouragement. I won't lie: Peace Corps life is tough, and there are times when it would be easy to call it quits and go back home. However, the tough times have been (thankfully) rare, and for the most part I am having a great time, so please don't worry about me.


In fact, much has changed since that very tough day I had back in early December: I am keeping busy, completing my diagnostic interviews and quarterly report later this month, getting ready to present the results to my community partners and PC colleagues back here in the capital, soliciting funds for specific projects, and beginning the process of moving out of my host family's house and renting a house of my own in my community (photos to come soon!) Lots going on now that the holidays are over, so I am happy to be busy.



New Year's Eve in the DR was fun, but low-key. New Year's (like most holidays) is a time to spend with family - and that's exactly what I did to ring in 2008: A traditional meal with the extended family in the "big" town of Ocoa, watching local kids play with sparklers in the street, waiting for the stroke of midnight by the local radio station's countdown, hugs and felicidades all around, and then joining the crush of people in the town square for dancing, socializing, and a fireworks display overhead. Rolled into bed about 2:30am on New Year's Day...



More later... Un abrazo desde la R.D.... -Tod.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that things are looking up. Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tod!

Alex sent me your blog, and while I haven't had time to read back that far, I am sending my well wishes to you in the DR! Just remember that you'll have your ups and downs, but it really is all worth it. :-)

Love, Rachael

egan said...

Yeah, I like to read the upbeat post about how things have gotten better. I think we all do. We want our Tod to be safe and happy. Here's to a life changing 2008 buddy! [raises champagne glass]

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! We've been reading your blog since the beginning. I'm glad the you've weathered the storm and the tough times. It's good work you're doing. Hey, and you should keep it real.

OK, bye bye,

Pedo, Angel, Rhaya & Eddie the Embryo

Wendy said...

What no drunken stories?! What kind of New Year's is that? Hopefully Tim and I will come up next year to celebrate with you and have some drunken new year's cake stories.

Tina said...

Hey Tod,

New Year's wasn't the same without you! I had fun anyway. =) Glad to hear your doing good. Things are going good at the LLS and your mom is a hoot. ~T