Monday, December 3, 2007

The Swiss-Canadian Volunteer


It´s official. I am now a 100% certified Peace Corps Volunteer (please note that it´s "volunteer" with a capital "V")...

November 21st, the day before Thanksgiving, 50 other Peace Corps Trainees and I took the pledge and became full-fledged Peace Corps Volunteers in service to the people of the Dominican Republic until 2009.

Here´s the Oath as it´s been said by many Volunteers before...

"I, Tod *******, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge my duties in the Peace Corps. So help me God."

I know, I know-- it sounds very weighty, right? In fact, I choked up a little when saying it myself. I think a lot of us did. Even after 11 weeks of training and preparation, saying that pledge was quite exciting. It was kind of like saying wedding vows, with that kind of permanence to it -- it represented making the leap into the deep end. Bypassing that last chance to back down off the diving board and to say "no thanks" to two years of hard work and uncertainty. It was quite a moment, but I´m happy to say that I made it and am now in this for the long haul.

Anyway, I am also happy to report that I am at permanent site, making myself at home for the duration of the next two years. I really do love my new community. The people are very happy that I´m there and I love the mountains. It´s kind of like the Washington Cascades in some ways (the rainy, cloudy weather), like the Rockies in Colorado (crumbly, rocky soil and steep climbs), and like the Missouri Ozarks in other ways (bugs and deep jungle forests). Good combination of all three of my previous mountain experiences.

One funny thing about my new home (and my friends Scott and Leslie will love this) - everyone thinks that I am Canadian! And when I tell them I´m NOT Canadian, they assume that I must be Swiss!

I was baffled by these assumption at first, but now understand why most people think this way, after hearing a bit of the history of this particular area of the DR. First, there has been a big Canadian influence here in Ocoa for several years. The priest of the main Catholic Church in Ocoa was Canadian (he died just recently) and was very active in all the communities surrounding the main town. He lived and worked here nearly 40 years, so everyone knew him well. He brought a lot of Canadian relief and construction groups here (kind of like Habitat for Humanity) to build schools and houses for the poor.

As I posted in my last entry, I am the first Peace Corps Volunteer that this community has seen, so when they hear I´m with "Cuerpo de Paz" (Spanish for Peace Corps), they assume it´s a religious organization and therefore associated with the Canadian groups who have been coming here for years. Most don´t believe me when I say that I´m an American (estadounidense). They say I speak Spanish too well for an American, or that I "look Canadian!" I love it!

Anyway, after we clear up the Canadian thing, people then assume that I must be Swiss, or of Swiss descent. This is because I live in a coffee growing region of the DR and there are a lot of Swiss immigrants who moved here decades ago and were (or still are) the main owners of the coffee processing plants in the valley. You see a lot of white or lighter-skinned people in my valley - descendants of the Swiss plantation owners.

I love this actually -- unlike in Mexico where people always assume you´re gringo from the US first, no matter where you may actually be from, it´s actually very refreshing!

So for now, in my community, you can find me easily if you ask for "el canadiense" or "el suiso."

More later, friends...
Un abrazo muy fuerte a todos. -Tod.

11 comments:

C-Durango said...

Congratulations Tod! I'm extremely proud of you and happy to hear you're settling in nicely. I wish you, your new friends and family a Happy Holidays. I've always wondered what a warm Christmas would be like. Keep me updated.

Erik said...

Dude, here in your old workplace, we always knew you were Swiss.

Anonymous said...

Tod,
Sounds like a wonderful place. You do look a little Canadian...

Glad you have a taste of the Rockies there.

Take Care,
Bree

egan said...

I do love the Canadian and Swiss thing. You're like some sort of superstar with your Spanish skills. Funny how labels get started. Here we just assume all Spanish speakers are Mexican.

I'm glad we have two more nicknames to add to the list.

egan said...

Aw, I love the addition of the picture. I almost didn't recognize you at first. Kudos mon ami suisse canadien!

Anonymous said...

Toddler, you are really doing it! Congrats to you for making this bold and brave mood. Looking forward to reading more.

Hugs,
Katie

PS- Hope you got the pics of new baby Sophie that I sent- she is almost 6 weeks now! Most people say she looks just like me- my mini me! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! :)

What?! Canada & Switzerland can't claim you. We get you fair and square.

Anonymous said...

Tod,
I'm so excited for you! I hope you enjoy the holidays in your new home.
I completed my first my first marathon! I'm contemplating which will be next.
Colleen :)

Wendy said...

You had to say "So help me God" in your oath. Oh dear god and I know you cried after saying the oath - don't try and cover that up. It's okay to be sensitive dirty unwashed hippie. All kidding aside - very awesome. Your my hero!

Anonymous said...

Wendy: Yes, smart-ass, I did get teary eyed after saying the oath.
Colleen: congrats on the marathon. I am an out-of-shape slob thanks to Domincan food and lack of a good running route in my town.
Cristin: yes, I am Estadounidense, through and through. I'm not cool enough to be Swiss, and not hairy enough to be Canadian.
Katie: I did see pics of the baby and I am woefully behind on writing to you... have patience and stay tuned.
Egan: All Spanish speakers are not Mexican, they are all Dominican.
Bree: Colorado is everywhere in the DR - there's even a fellow PCV who graduated from CSU - Go Rams!
Erik: Only in my taste for cheese...
Chris: Right back at you buddy!
To ALL: Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Well...if you ask nice, mmmaaaybe we'll let you say you're Canadian. But don't go blabbing that I said that or nobody's gettin' nothin', see?

Good to hear from you again, and re: your latest post - hang in there; you're doing great.